Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 64: Feeds and Food

Clara is doing great in the world of nutrition. For the longest time, I've been struggling to get enough food through her NG to at least keep her hydrated. And then she needs even more than that to get enough calories to grow. So she has been getting IV fluids at the hospital when I haven't given her enough formula to prevent dehydration.
However! Today I discovered that even though she was nauseous this morning, she was able to handle a LOT more formula during one of her feeds today. That means I could potentially start feeding her much more at each "meal" without not over filling her and causing her to throw up. So! She can finally start getting enough nutrition!!!!
On top of that. We finally saw the occupational feeding therapist yesterday (she is the supervisor for outpatients and inpatients). She encouraged me to stop trying to structure feeding times and routines. Rather expose Clara to food any time she is curious about what I am eating. As much food as frequently and fun as possible.
So, that same day, Clara was watching me drink my coffee from my travel mug. When I offered it to her, she immediately put it to her mouth and actually repeated it three times. Apparently coffee is a flavor that doesn't activate her gag reflex. Supposedly sweet flavors are more likely to do that -which made sense considering she keeps gagging on applesauce and bananas, and strong, salty, or bitter flavors are more interesting and less likely to activate the gag reflex.
I've had a lot of fun just giving her food. And she has amaze me at how much she is willing to let me put food in her mouth. And she loves trying to drink from cups, water bottles, and wine glasses :-). She even put a peach yogurt melt in her mouth and gummed on it until it was stuck to the roof of her mouth and I had to retrieve it.
So proud of her! Major progress on all accounts!

3 comments:

John/Dad/Grandpa said...

Duh! Of course food is fun to my grandbaby!

John/Dad/Grandpa said...

Escargot with garlic butter??

Suzy Cashwell said...

Wonderful! Some of our grandsons' favorite early foods were pickled beets, pickled artichoke hearts, canned (and therefore quite soft) asparagus, tofu with soy sauce, etc. Hope some of these ideas will hit the spot with Clara. You do have to watch the salt, of course, but it's amazing what they'll try. Oh -my great-nephew fell in love with grits - unsalted! Good luck!

Post a Comment