On Tuesday, we were given contact information for Clara's donor and are waiting to hear back from him. The opportunity to get to know Clara's donor has absolutely filled my every thought. His donation was given quite a bit of publicity, so we know a fair bit about him since finding out his name - although we have not yet spoken with him. He is an incredible guy, and I pray our meeting is one that is as joyful for him as it is for us.
Yesterday, we found out that Clara's immune system is completely, fully, totally functional. ALL restrictions have been lifted.
- She is no longer under isolation restrictions.
- She does not have to wear a mask when going places
- We do not have to avoid construction, or someone mowing the lawn.
- She doesn't have to take ANY meds anymore.
- She can play at the park, or go to a friend's house for a playdate.
- She can eat anything she wants. Or as she says, "Can eat cereal....off floor?"
- She can touch anything she wants - in fact, she can roll around in a pit of mud if she wants.
- She can fly on a plane and meet all her aunts and uncles and cousins and great-grandparents - some of whom have only seen her when she was 5 weeks old, but most of them have actually never met her and none of whom have met Rosalyn.
The list is incredible and most of it is the kind of thing that we all take for granted - yet, they are huge for her. She is adapting quickly and understands much more than we realized about what was "dirty" before but that she is now allowed to do. And the smile on her face while she looks at me and says "I'm touching." (a flower) or "I'm standing in dirt." is just incredible.
I hope I can pick back up with blogging. I always did it out of necessity to keep you all abreast with Clara's treatment. But please know that no news is good news for us. In January 2013, she essentially reaches a milestone that puts relapse and other life events completely out of the picture. We will consider her cured although that word can't be used until January 2016.
There is so much I wish I could articulate. There just are no words for the joy we are feeling. Instead, I'll offer you this: