Well, this Mama happens to love a good massage; so, whether or not it fixes anything for Clara, I thought it was worth a try. Initially, I used it as a calming technique when she was 2 months old and would show signs of being tired or just generally fussy but didn't need to nurse or have her diaper changed, etc. It has now turned into the cutest stretching routine after her naps.
I will get her up from a nap, feed her and then change her diaper, redress her and the stretch routine commences.
While she lays on her changing table, I:
- Grab her little hands and lift her arms up above her head and say, "Uuuuuup!" while gently pulling one arm and then the other slightly higher.
- Bring her arms down by her sides and say, "Doooooowwn." again alternating which arm I pull slightly lower than the other.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times until she seems to have gotten the stretch she needed. We end on an "Up."
- I can always tell when she is enjoying it because she will arch her back as we go "Up" and crunch her tummy and pull up her legs when we go "Down."
- "We're gonna get that baaaaack. And that looooow back."
- "And those hiiiips."
- "And those leeeegs. You like that, huh?"
- She always straightens out her legs and flexes her feet as soon as I grip the top of her thighs.
- This is a sure-fire way of getting her to pass some of that gas that she constantly has in her belly.
- We just cycle away until she seems to have finished passing gas or seems ready to move on to see the world.