Monday, January 10, 2011

Bring on the first "Day of Rest"!

I am so happy to report a very restful night. 

Clara went to bed a little early - 6:30pm and is still asleep at 9:15am.  Before this readmission, she had been going to bed as late as 9:30pm but never earlier than 7:30pm.  Also "normal" for her is 13 hrs of night time sleep.  We are now approaching 15 hrs.

We did have to wake up every 1.5 hours to change her completely saturated diaper, but she would always settle right back down.  She would place the backs of her hands over her eyes and turn her body so that her fingers would rest on my face.  So precious.

All of the swelling we saw yesterday seems to be gone, and her weight dropped just enough to support that assessment.  I'm looking forward to her IV fluids being decreased by half today and many many many fewer diapers.  We were changing as many as 2-3 an hour to keep the chemo off her bottom.  Thankful to say we have been successful at preventing any diaper rash or open sores which would have been a source for potential infection in the next couple of weeks while her counts are down.

I'm off to have my cup of coffee.  Would love to hear from you all.  The blog has around 300 page views a day and we can get pretty lonely all cooped up in this room way out in CA!

3 comments:

Sara Graham said...

Glad to add a note to you, even if you don't know me! I am so glad Clara is doing well. I can't imagine changing that many diapers, but I know it's all to protect those precious, sweet cheeks. You and yours are still in my prayers.

Amanda said...

Not sure you know me either, but I'm Amanda and my dad's cousin is Patty Shannon. I used to live in Charleston at which time was able to meet and hang out with your family on a couple of occasions. Your sister Lauren is my facebook friend now which is what led me here.
Anyways, I am an avid blog follower of yours now and definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

dostoevsky said...

I'm always checking up on your blog! I wish I could do something for you guys, but just know I am constantly thinking of y'all..so you're never alone!

Post a Comment