Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day -3

Today went very similarly to yesterday.  She seems to have an allergic reaction to the chemo which the attending says is basically unheard of and the resident was trying to explain it as an allergy to another med she is getting.  But the other med she gets three times a day and the chemo she has only gotten one time a day at this exact same point in the morning.  It doesn't really matter because her reaction is short lived and not dangerous...and Alan and I are pretty sure we won't see it happen now that chemo is over.

Let me repeat that...chemo is over.  Wow.  I can't believe it. 

Clara has had almost no nausea since they doubled the frequency of one of her nausea meds.  Plus in combination with another nausea med that she had never had before, it has just been wonderful.  I wish they could/would have given her such good coverage when she was so nauseous with her previous treatments.

Because she hasn't been nauseous, this has seemed to be quite a benign procedure.  We get two days of nothing while we wait for her counts to go down, and then I hear that transplant day is quite anticlimactic.

I was so worried about what was going to happen in these first few days that I hadn't really thought to ask detailed questions of what happens beyond transplant day.  They have told us, but I kind of need clarification.  I know we are looking for Graft-vs-Host Disease which is expected and Veno Occlusive Disease and of course the nausea and pain associated with mucositis

So, I suppose I have questions to ask tomorrow.  But for tonight, I am so happy to report a soundly sleeping baby (with the help of some benadryl to settle her after some initially fitful unrest) laying next to me and to share the joy I feel from knowing that we have just avoided so many very scary possible complications.

3 comments:

Mom/Mimi/Mama Deb said...

What a wonderful report! I am so glad things have gone as well as they have for her (and y'all) thus far. I know you are not nearly through, but at least we can say...THAT part is behind you. Bring on donor cells!

Carolyn/Mom/Grandma said...

WE are so happy to hear such a positive report! Clara, you go girl!!

Kelli Davis said...

Fantastic news!!! Am loving these beautiful pictures of you and bug. "Mommy" looks so good on you!

Can't wait for your call!!! Call soon!!!! I miss you more than words and have questions that only you can answer because everyone else will laugh at me and I know you'll answer seriously.... ;-) Love!

Post a Comment