Thursday, January 13, 2011

Clara's Butterfly Re-Birthday

Yesterday was the most wonderful, exciting, happy day that I could have asked for.  My daughter was reborn!

I can't put into words all of what went into yesterday and how it felt and what it meant to us to have this day happen.  I hope that for those of you who would have liked to have been here enjoyed the video.  It may not be "entertainment" but it was the true buzz and excitement and spontaneity and medicine that happened in that moment of her transfusion.  You can't catch everything that was said or done, but it was our best way to bring you into the actual moments of yesterday.

I also want to share with you what happened with the butterflies.  You may have seen them in one or two of the pictures Alan posted yesterday and in the video.

The butterflies were a very symbolic theme for the day as our little "bug" was transformed into a "butterfly." I spent three days trying to figure out how to mark the day's significance and bring a bit of excitement to the moment that was anticipated to be so anticlimactic. I realized that if we were going to do anything, it needed to involve marking the significance of what so many people have given to Clara and our family.  Although we cannot yet thank the "kid" that I now think to be the greatest of men, I wanted to thank the team of nurses, nursing aids, staff and doctors that have cared for us as family.

As is typical for me, I started a craft project that ended up being much more ambitious than I originally anticipated.  I decided to hand-make butterflies.  With limited time and only two trips to the craft store, I simplified my design and only made enough butterflies for the individuals on service yesterday and last night.

Here is the note that accompanied the basket of butterflies that I placed in the Nurses Workroom:

"As we celebrate this day and the opportunity it provides Clara for new life, we can’t go without thanking each of you for being a part of her re-birth.  We are so grateful for your time, your vigilance, and your smiles.  You truly have made us feel the support of family, and we thank you for choosing to be here with us in this continued journey.

These violet butterflies are a symbol of Clara’s transformation and opportunity for life.  

Please take one as a small symbol of our gratitude for the part you have played in that opportunity.  When you hold it, know that we will forever carry thoughts of you."


I had understood that the nurses couldn't wear anything "cloth" from room to room so I didn't make the butterflies affix-able.  But they ALL decided to wear them.  And when there weren't any safety pins, they ordered some from the hospitals central supply.  Others put them in their hair.

I hear that an older male patient even asked if he could have one since everyone that was coming into his room had one on!  One of the nurses said that they should start this as a new tradition for transplants.  "This is so fun!"

It meant so much to me that what I had wanted to give to them was so much bigger than anything I could physically give.  Yet, as they always do, they made the gift bigger and more important and special and were full of excitement for the celebration that they wore proudly throughout the day!  I will forever be grateful to them for embracing our small token of thanks and making our day so full of such an outward sign of celebration!

A few pictures for your viewing pleasure:




L-R: Lisa, A Transplant Nurse Coordinator; Pam, one of our two nurses for the day; Jessi, a resident; and Dr. Agarwal, the attending doctor and head honcho for the transplant unit



Pam and Kara, our nurses for the big day!

Clapping after someone spontaneously started singing Happy Birthday and all joined in!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those 300 people who read your post and pray for Clara's healing. God's hand is truly at work for your darling little girl. I will contine to pray for a smooth recovery so taht you can take Clara home soon. Cynthia DeWitt Jordan, TAMU Class of 77

John/Dad/Grandpa said...

Our ladybug transformed into a beautiful butterfly!

Kelly Aldridge said...

The butterflies are beautiful Brooke! What a wonderful way to celebrate! We love you guys are are still lifting you up in prayer! Brooke - you are an incredible and amazing Mom! I am inspired by you EVERYDAY!

Sharon said...

She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute- I can't get over it. I'm so happy yesterday went well and Clara had a happy re-birthday and everyone was able to join in on the celebration! You all deserve it! Continued prayers and lots of love, Christine

Frank A. Shannon, III said...

One of the ladies i work with at the College of Arts and Sciences, Lana Conder, had already seen the blog on the butterflies this morning, i had not seen it yet, didn't know anything about the butterflies, and she said where was my butterfly! She expected me to have one on. Well, it's just another example of these beautiful people who love and care for you and Clara and Alan you don't even know. God bless you all!

Mom/Mimi/Mama Deb said...

Save yours and her butterflies! We need to make an album out of your blog. Butterfly on the cover. I am just beaming proud of my daughter! You are an amazing mother.

Sara Boone Hartley said...

Well - I started off to say how overwhelmed and happy I am for such blessings that the donor and the amazing staff have bestowed on my little sister, brother-in-law and niece. I am truly amazed and grateful for all who have helped you 3 on your journey.

Then - I see what a small world it is, because the first comment is from one of my co-workers and friends, Cindy Jordan! I don't even know how the blog has reached her! Anyway - it just amazes me how this one story is affecting so many lives. That little Clara Violet sure has the power of many people behind her and has stolen all of their hearts!

Love you guys!
sara

Mom/Mimi/Mama Deb said...

In THIS is the God I know...love overflowing...transformations, unsolicited kindnesses, inspirations, acts of pure unselfishness and concern for others. Clara's story is one of the power of God (aka Love) at work in this universe. The God I know also is no stranger to sacrifice and suffering. You have had your abundance of all of these things. Know that God is so close to you right now in ALL of this.
I love you so much.
Mom

Post a Comment